Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Little Dude Freret, 10/28/06 - 10/30/06

Forgive any melancholy in my first post, Pretend Reader (you won’t mind if I call you that, will you?  I mean, I have to address these comments to someone, otherwise I’d just be talking to myself.  And that would be creepy.  So since you know you aren’t reading this, and I know you aren’t reading this, I’m simply going to refer to you as P.R., and you won’t mind, because you are a gracious and polite generic made up person) but the Freret family has suffered an unexpected loss.

Our innocent goldfish, Little Dude, passed away.  In a rush of emotion, I quickly jotted this down on a napkin:

+++

Little Dude Freret, Purchased 10/28/06, died 10/30/06.

Rest in Peace, Little Dude.  We hardly got to know you, but you touched us all, and we are better people for it.

In your honor, and with apologies to Mary E. Frye, a variation of her poem “Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep.”  I'm sure you'd say these things to us if you could.  You know, if you weren't a fish.  And dead.  If you weren't a dead little fish, I'm certain that you would say this to us.


DO NOT STAND AT THE COMMODE AND WEEP

Do not stand at the commode and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand gallons that flow.
I am helping flowers grow.
I am the gentle showers of rain.
I am fertilizing fields of ripening grain.
***
Do not stand at the commode and cry.
I am not there; I did not die.

+++

Your obedient servant,
B. Freret

No comments: