Friday, October 01, 2010

He Said "Dongle"

This was just forwarded to me by a like-minded acquaintance. By reproducing it here, I am not condoning my acquaintance's use of the word "dongle" in a business letter.

***
Jeff Radke
Vice President of Sales
Sweetwater Music

Mr. Radke, my experience with Sweetwater Sales Engineer Eddie Tighe was extraordinary.

I dropped out of music from about 1990 - 2002, and a lot changed in gear sales during that time. You know, like the internet.

Since starting back in 2002, I've bought (and sold) a lot of gear (for a hobbyist, anyway), and have never had an experience like this one with Eddie. It was closer to what it used to feel like in the 80s, dealing with my local mom and pop shop. Except they were insufferable assholes. So really, it was more like what a mom and pop experience should have been.

I signed up for the Peavey Ampkit Link 'keep me updated on when this comes out' list at Peavey.com. My contact information must have been forwarded to Sweetwater, because Eddie contacted me shortly thereafter. He quickly answered some questions as best he could on what amps were included in the free and paid versions of the Ampkit app, and got back to me when he had more information. Every couple of weeks checked in with me, always friendly, never annoying or pushy. I really felt like he knew what he was doing, cared about my interest in this one $30 item, and was enjoying his job.

Sadly, how often is any of that the case, in any field?

I've known for a while that what I just experienced is Sweetwater's 'hook' - but I never thought it could be helpful to me. I mean, if you need to order a $10 Chinese cable, how good do you need to feel about that? Or even in this case, a $30 dongle? (I've always wanted to be able to say 'dongle' in correspondence.) But you know what? I'm thrilled with the purchase experience. Who couldn't use a little more kind, intelligent human interaction in their day?

I got what I wanted, at a great price, and felt good about the purchase. The purchase. Not just the item or the price, but the process of buying it, too. (I can tell you the last time I got warm fuzzies walking out of Guitar Center: NEVER.) So in my experience, Sweetwater is a win all around. Because of Eddie Tighe.

Thank you,
Name Withheld*

***

Though not a musician, I, too, have had similar dealings with Guitar Center - I once received a curious advert from them that baffles me to this day. I wrote about it here.

Well, with warm fuzzies in hand**, I remain

Humbly,
B. Freret


* Not his real name.
** I hope this is not a crude expression.

2 comments:

Jeff Radke said...

Thanks so much for the kind words about Eddie, we're very fortunate to have him on our team. I know your message will mean a lot to him. To recognize him for his good work, we'll be sharing your message with our whole team at our next full sales meeting.

We believe that the effort we put into providing excellent service before, during, and after the sale makes a real difference for our customers during a time where many industries seem to have lost their way in regard to customer service.

Thanks again for taking the time to write, it means a lot to us to receive this kind of feedback. Please know that we will continue to do all we can to earn your business for many, many years to come.

BTW, your comment about the dongle made me laugh.

Best Regards,



Jeff Radke
Vice President of Sales
Sweetwater

Rene/ Not The Rockefellers said...

dongles, professional caring service and warm fuzzies to boot?

I think your letter totally made Eddie's year :)